Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Spilt



These are the first trial images for the work I want to research and develop in the time before now and the new year. I'm in the process of applying for some funding for this. My attitude; try, try and try again.....



The motivation behind this work is the exploration of emotions in public spaces, also how we all contribute to some kind of group dynamic in such environments. I wish to examine the placing of myself in a position of vulnerability. By this, I mean that my plan is to intentionally (with intent) set in motion a series of very simple actions which will be choreographed 'accidents' or blunders, rendering me momentarily the centre of attention, doubtlessly causing me to blush (uggh!).



In so-doing, I wish to record, by way of a hidden camera of some sort, or by camphone, the moment of the blunder, as a way of collecting these moments of awkwardness and social faux-pas. So much emphasis, certainly in urban environments, is placed on the keeping together of, the avoidance of any display of vulnerability. My plan is to engineer vulnerability, as a way of exploring how the social space might adjust (or not) to accomodate this.



A key underpinning in the conceptual framework for this body of work is a gentle and humourous method of exploration. I wish to inject an element of the slightly absurd, and of play into these 'arenas'. A tiny ripple of apparently unintentional buffoonery, mishap and clumbsiness unfurled into a mundane London morning....

7 Comments:

Blogger Madeleine said...

lucille so nice to see you and the first stages of something voiced, you great! Would be lovely to meet cos I think i might be ready to get my tour documentry from you now I've digested the experience enough! let me know when your free - i need to make my computer behave in the meantime.... Hope things have been going well, mads x

27 September, 2006 19:44  
Blogger de-mentored said...

Hey Mads; lovely to hear from you. I am back! After poorly time. I'm off to Glasgow on Monday for 3 weeks, but then I'll be around. Hopefully by then your computer will be behaving more compliantly, and we can get docu on it. I reviewed mine at the weekend, and it really made me laugh, and also feel very nostalgic of the time away! Hey, roomy, I think you know a good cobbler; is it local-ish? Got some dodgy second hand boots that need heels repaired...
Be loverly to see you when I get back (23rd Oct)
xxx

27 September, 2006 22:29  
Blogger de-mentored said...

That was lucille!

27 September, 2006 22:32  
Blogger franko b said...

love the images , looking forward to talk to you when you are back. x x franko

28 September, 2006 09:52  
Blogger Madeleine said...

Hope you feeling better shoe queen, and very best for Glasgie. There are a couple of goody cobblers - one on chapel market in angel, opposite the end of white lion st I think it is... and The Master Cobbler on highbury barn, by the 236 bus stop going to finsbury park. happy booties and see you soon x

28 September, 2006 09:53  
Blogger franko b said...

DI SOME ONE CHANGE THE PASS WORD OF THIS BLOG , NO BODY CAN UP LOAD ANY THING ? DID ANY BODY TOLD SOME ONE NOT IN THE GROUP THE PASSWORD ?OR THE LAST PERSON TO UPLOAD A POST MISTEAKLY HAS GHANGED THE PASSWORD , PLEASE LET ME KNOW.. WE MAY HAVE TO STAT ANOTHER BLOG .

29 September, 2006 07:06  
Blogger Steven said...

love it!!

05 October, 2006 16:03  

Post a Comment

<< Home