Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Hi all old and new,
Many many apologies for not making it on Sunday. I really wanted to be there, however my sensible side kicked in , I'm having to concentrate on a new job. It's a lot of responsibility, so I'm trying not to fuck it up.
I did , however spend most of the day wishing that I had come. Thankyou so much for the invite anyway.
Lucille, hope your show went well on Saturday xxx
Katherine and Lucille , it was comforting and interesting to read what you wrote about the regularity of a paid job. it is so true. I seem to be more productive the busier I am . As I battle sometimes with depression and fatigue, I feel the need to stay wound up and busy. As soon as I start to slow down, I either get flu or get low and lethargic. The worry of where the next job will come from and money worries all contribute to a big cloud above me that's hard to shift. This all restricts any artistic productivity. I have been reading a lot of David Lynch articles recently as he has a big show on in Paris. I love his films and Twin Peaks. It was funny becasue I read these comments after seeing what Katherine wrote.....
He dismisses the romatic suffereing notion of the artist... " ... the more the artist is suffering, the less the artist can do. Negativity squeezes the conduit of the flow of creativity"
He has also perfectly described the reason for the way in which I see things or delete certain parts of information in my work. He speaks about deforminty and the ever compulsion to pay attention to it. 'There's an attraction and a repulsion simultaneously"
"It's a human thing. It's a different angle on the human condition . A distortion or a disease or an abnormality always makes something start happening in the brain....they start making you dream."
That's how I feel, I really want people to dream. By using image association and only the remains and clues to something. I hope to make the viewer dream the rest.

I have just started my first Art Directing job which is pretty full on. It's great being the boss and being in control. It sounds silly but it also helps to control my own life too. Constantly organising all day has meant that my personal life has been that much more organised too. I also have an assistant and have discovered the art of deligation, it's great! I've decided to try to somehow use these skills in prop finding and organising to organise a show. I feel quite disappointed in myself for not working in the art world, so this is a way of justifying and using what I do.
I have also applied for an MA at the RCA . As I haven't heard anything, I assume it's bad news again. In order to let this not get on top of me, get back on the horse and all that, I think I need to produce something and turn it into a positive.

Hope I haven't waffled too much. I'm going to a P.V. tomorrow at The One in the Other on Vyner street if anyone fancies it,

much love,
Ninaxxxxxx

3 Comments:

Blogger Girldrag said...

Hey Nina,

Congratulations on what sounds like a challenging new job, but one that is going to be great for you. Yes, you are so right to see it developing skills that you can transfer to other areas of your life/ practice.

How inspiring!

Show on Saturday was really fantastic! The event was brilliant, and the venue dreamy. I happily skated around (asked folks for help, which was interesting and fun), and amazed with my tricks!

I was a bit shy at points; interesting also, as a performer working close up with strangers!

Really good for me to try out some new work, and one that is challenging and moving in a newish direction for me.

Am doing it next week, and also working on a stage show using magic for a show end of the month.

See posting for details.

Hope life in your new house is going well. Be lovely to see you soon xxxLucille

01 March, 2007 11:19  
Blogger Biggi said...

Hi Nina,
it's funny how you say that the busier you are the more productive you are... It is so true. On the other hand one needs to re-tank at some point and it often seems impossible to realise when to pull the brakes... and again that is when the body catches up and we become ill. But to be honest I see this as a good thing. For over 5 years I have been burning the candle at both ends and I haven't had a holiday within the last six years - nor a city break.
I agree with the negativity although I thought at some point that seeing a therapist would not be good for me, as it would take the sting out of my art work. But, as a wise tutor once said, ;-), work shouldn't be made from anger. I guess because we easily lose control over it and are in danger to be moralistic.
There is a lot of cliche about the suffering artist and to be honest this notion goes a bit on my nerves. I have the feeling that it is a lot easier to be an artist these days then 100 years ago. It has become easier to sell work or gain some support.

I think you are very lucky to get something out of your job, which is satisfactory and makes you feel excited about going to work. I am doing a customer services/administration job that kills me. Every day I am working I have the feeling that I am wasting my precious time. Although I am working at Tate Britain... you barely get to see the art but instead some quite rude visitors who try to make your life difficult. No skill to learn here - just patience, how to get through verbal abuse and how to spot celebrities. The bright side is that a very high percentage working at Tate are artists themselves so you get to have some interesting exchanges.
ah, it's late, i should go to bed.
xx Biggi

06 March, 2007 01:22  
Blogger Biggi said...

Hi Nina,
just wanted to say sorry that i was so negative with my last comment... was not in a very happy mood.
xx
Biggi

07 March, 2007 13:11  

Post a Comment

<< Home