Monday, April 30, 2007

hello

Hello Everyone

My apologies for my absence of late… life has been hectic recently, but in an exciting way, lots of art things going on, although not so much my own, but absorbing other people’s, which inevitably feeds into one’s own…


Well, what have I been up to. I feel like I have had a big shift in perspective since being offered a studio at Wysing. Whilst I was writing my application I felt so excited, and I was thinking it through as a reality…how different it would make my life, the daily routine and how it was, and I, what I feel like I have been heading towards over the past year or eighteen months or so. The week in which the panel were meeting it suddenly dawned on me what happens if I am not offered a studio? I get so carried away when writing applications, and so excited in the possibilities, that I guess if I am honest I hadn’t considered what I would do if it didn’t all go as I was imagining whilst writing the application…. How to continue with my work as some kind of hobby…to carry on working full time and trying to squeeze my work into the small hours around a job.

Thankfully I now don’t have to worry about not getting a studio. It has been quite liberating to think my work is not going to be squeezed into small spaces of time around money forever. And it has shifted my perspective. I have been out more in the past couple of months than I have been in ages….all of a sudden being part of a dialogue and engaging in conversations has a priority over being stuck in an office….(ok, so it’s not all perfect, I am still stuck in an office at the moment, but knowing I have this change ahead is very, very exciting!).

Some thoughts from the Spill symposium….

The work is not about something. It is something.
It is a space to be inhabited.

Presence in the context of absence

The way in which you say it is as important as what you say.

Art is a way of stimulating dialogue…
(art as a space in which one feels valid to say what one wants to say, despite now knowing all the time exactly what that thing is one may want to say)

Detailed private conversation in public

Following an itch…. Trusting one’s own itch
Trusting one’s own curiosity.

Reserving one’s right to fail.


I think the last time I actually posted anything on the blog was when I was writing about wanting to make a piece of work, and knowing that it had to be live. At the time I was trying to work out whether to submit an application to something. The work, for me, at the time was exciting and I felt really engaged with it. On my own with it I feel confident in it as an image and as an idea…..it is when that passes into a more public space that I feel less confident…not that the work changes so much, it is still my work, I remain engaged in it. The anxious-ness of it and the self doubt have to be ridden with, or rather one had to ride them out, to bear with it and continue to follow that itch, to trust one’s own curiosity…. However uncomfortable that might be…and to allow it to expand, so one could be challenged by it over again, or in a different way…

Stepping out of one’s own comfort zone and taking the risk with the work, for the work. I feel quite tense this week. I will show the work I mentioned on the blog several weeks, maybe months ago, at the EEC platform on Saturday night. If anyone is around and interested I will post details on the blog when I find the information…(probably tomorrow night)…it would be good to see people, or even if anyone is going to Shabs’s Speakers Corner on Friday night- would anyone like to go for a drink afterwards?


It was really lovely to see those people that were around in London in March- I was gutted that I missed the night at Rachel’s on the Monday- it sounds like it was a good evening. There is so much more to say, but I don’t want to invade the blog and fill up an entire page, so I will come back tomorrow or later in the week and write again…lots of things to say…it sounds like everyone has been very busy recently- which is a good reason for us all to meet up and catch up….is everyone going on Friday? Or maybe a picnic in a park somewhere on the bank holiday Monday?

I’ll be back again soon.

With love

Kat.

3 Comments:

Blogger lisa alexander said...

yes I'll be at Shabs work in prog on fri - yes to drinks and catch up. yes v busy so won't leave comment here. Would like to hear more of your thoughts. Lisa xx

01 May, 2007 11:06  
Blogger tom said...

nds good...picnic sounds good, i would like to xxx tom

01 May, 2007 15:07  
Blogger Steven said...

wow, Katherine, a studio? Weird thing is, I have just moved into my studio, 30mins away. My first one out of a domestic or college environment. It looks like a store cupboard at the moment, all 166 sq foot of it. What is a relieve is to clear the house of all my art detritus. Liberating. What is great about your post is that you are talking about the positive, not what is stopping or slowing you down.

Failing rules, I just fimished a residency, invovled the students in an afernoon of activities, all went well, but it could have been really crap, but it wasn't. Still makes me nervous thinking about it.

feels like a new era....

04 May, 2007 00:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home