Thursday, October 12, 2006

feminist films, life, wine and inspiration!

hello everyone,
I've had such a hectic time recently, It's been quite unsettling. a crazy whirlwind of events and happenings and too much information.

Katherine thank you for your comments about the job stuff, to keep you posted, It's a job working for a grant giving trust (a really great one that I respect a lot) focussing on young people aged 14-19. the pay is outrageous and makes me feel certain that I wont get it, its over double my current salary! but I've written a personal statement and been put forward by the head hunters so fingers crossed!

Whether this comes through or not it has forced me to think about the furture, Franko I know you want me to work on a strategy and i feel that my job is destroying me. I love it but it's draining every drop of energy I have, not just at the moment but for a long time, the Frieze VIP thing today was awful. i worry about my mental health!

i've been reading this book called 'refusing to be a man' by John Stoltenberg. I recommend it to everyone. I have had to take a break after reading the first two essays because of the power of the content. It tears the world apart, rips down the curtains and shows you reality.

We watched a load of films tonight which we are considering for the feminist film festival, some really brilliant ones, my favourite was 'sisters in law' very funny/serious/exhilirating film about female judges in cameroon dealing wonderfully with men who rape and abuse women and children.

Franko, we watched 'female fist' by Gritt, this was excellent and definately going to be included, I'm going to see if she'd like to come over here for the screening.

I found Gritts film really inspiring, just made me think, what am I sitting around waiting for? Why don't I get on with my work! it doesn't have to be complicated, this institutional hangover is harder to shake than I realised, why does everything have to be finished and presentable (and saleable?) this whole frieze thing is a good example of what I'm talking about, its a mass market for selling work, the work is presented on temporary wooden boards, gallerists produce photocopies of artworks for potential buyers with £10k price tags. where is the art? is this what it's all about? And i'm not even allowed to say this stuff.

Have made plans to go with a friend of mine.... in disguise....communist style! yeeeehaaaa!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

6 Comments:

Blogger Steven said...

Thank the lord for you rachel. I had major guilt/anxiety/pissyness on not getting up for freize. Apart of me sense the hype and bullshit, but I can't help but be drawn to wanting to go. Luckily, my finances dictate otherwise. Please report in gory detail!!

Checked out Stoltenburg's book on amazon, added it to my wishlist, but nearly clicked wedding list...might save it for xmas...

12 October, 2006 23:56  
Blogger de-mentored said...

hello , look at you steve with a beard , you look cool , i say fuck frieze.. im in italy any way till the 21 october . franko
xx

13 October, 2006 14:16  
Blogger de-mentored said...

ha yes gritt is fantastic
franko x x

13 October, 2006 14:17  
Blogger de-mentored said...

Thanks for your lovely honest and long post, Rachel. I'm in Glasgow, and feeling fucking lonesome right now. Will write a post in a bit about that.

Keep on keeping on, sister! I say that tongue in cheek at the same time as not atall.

It was great to hear a bit about what is going on for you. I'd love to hear more; hope we can all hook up soon; its been too fucking long.

I'm just off to get a glass of red wine. Drinking far too much to get thru tough times.

Yeah; frieze art fair. never been. kinda think my way of thinking wouldn't be too compatible with it. I can't get it up atall for that stuff. Like hanging out in charity shops, in the poor bits of glasgow. Hmmm.

xxxLucille

16 October, 2006 18:04  
Blogger de-mentored said...

Hey R,

could you furnish w Gritt's email address? The one I"ve got bounced back, and thus, must be wrong.

xxCheers, Lucille

16 October, 2006 18:05  
Blogger Rachel said...

hello Sister,
Sorry your having a tough time, it's about at the moment I think. Here for chats anytime xx
When I email gritt it bounces back too! Franko...help us!
xxx

16 October, 2006 22:18  

Post a Comment

<< Home