Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Speech experiment and Mirror piece (during my Island residency in May)
I would like to just discuss the reason behind my work. Franko had asked me some questions in regards to my practice. I would like to put some answers on the blog to be challenged by you. Some of the answers don't have enough umpf but that's the reason why I want to put them on here.
It becomes now very clear that my work is based on participatory performances - possibly one 2 one at a later stage. I realised that my work is always going back to being a kind of installation, where people go in and are encountered with an experience.
One work I was during that residency was the Mirror piece: people were invited to sit in front of a mirror and stare at themselves for five minutes - without moving the head. Behind the mirror was a camera situated. Participants were shown the camera so they were fully aware that they were being filmed.

The video was then edited which showed the sitters 2mins each staring into the camera and blending out when they were told that the mins are over. The video has no sound. It was projected during an exhibition against the blank white wall in a naturally lit space so it looked quite faint on the wall.




The other piece I experimented with was the Speech piece:
Participants were not briefed about the nature of the piece. Each person was individually lead into the space by the artist, onto the platform and into the spot light (a camera woman was filming the event). "How would you like to
be called?" The artist asked the participant, who was then introduced to the audience by their chosen name. The artist then turned to the participant on the platform and explained loudly that he/she would have to answer five questions, could though refuse to answer at any stage - but would have to provide in the end answers to five questions. After having answered five questions, the participant was then lead down from the stage to a chair to sit down within the audience and take on the role of the interrogator. The next participant who had been waiting outside was then lead in and up to the platform into the spotlight to go through the same ritual.
These were the two pieces I was working on and now I am at a stage where I need to crack down to the nitty gritty bit. They both were successful in their way they were set up and in regards to the wanted impact. Although both pieces had very simple set-ups they were to some extend irritating and challenging for some more than others.
I will post the questions separately later on today or tomorrow to give the work some space.
Would be great to get some feedback on your thougths - would have been of course great if you guys would have had the chance to experience them yourselves.
:-)
Biggi

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Katherine said...

Biggi

It's good to read about your work, I feel I know so little I guess...only my memories from when you spoke in December...and from our brief conversation walking up Brick lane in March during your residency week, when you were talking about anxiety...

I don't want to say too much as I have only just read your post, but wanted to write down my immediate thoughts whilst they were still immediate...

I recently read some of Marina Abramovic's stdent body book, and reading your post I remember the exercises she has used with her students...one of which is for each student to stare into a mirror for a period of time, (i think about an hour)....I can't help thinking betwen the two.... reading the book and imagining myself looking in the mirror for a perod of time, and being asked to do so knowing i was being filmed....

I wonder why it was important to film....i guess i am asking whether the film was more teh work, but teh participatory part was a means of getting the work.....

for me, it is that experience of being with oneself i suppose that is really interesting...that you're giving people that time....

I will probably come back to this...it's great to read about...

Kat

13 June, 2007 21:51  
Blogger de-mentored said...

biggi great it seem defenetly on your way and much more confident i would say , i like this piece . x x xfranko

14 June, 2007 13:47  
Blogger Biggi said...

Hi Franko,
thank you very much for your supportive comments. I feel enthusiastic about the direction I am going. It always seemed to be lurking in the corner and of course there is very much to be tested and grown with. I am now in the need to find out how to find spaces to do the pieces in a more professional set up and with participants I invite.

The mirror piece is a funny one, Katherine (and thank you very much for your long comment), I was thinking about it. Both stages are very important to me - the filming and the screening. Somehow it is currently split into two but I would love to bring them together into one. Lisa was mentioning a live link - I was thinking about that too - but it gave somehow a nice feel for the participants to see themselves - relay might be a possibility. It was fantastic when, sorry Lisa, when Lisa came in to the P.V. just at the moment when she was screened against the wall opposite of her. And of course I had some lovely feedback in regards to people just watching the piece - not having participated. I don't want to miss out on the power of the projected image staring at the viewer but actually the viewer then realising that the participants look at themselves. There is something arresting about it - someone came to the P.V. who is actually a Psychotherapist studying eye movements in relation to the psyche. It was a very interesting coincidence. She said that she could read very well their psyche. I didn't ask her though because I do know most of the participants screened.
For the other piece, the speech piece the camera was only set up for two reasons - 1.to make the participant feel more vulnerable and uneasy. 2. to document it. some very interesting stuff happened there as well.


I gotta leave the blog now unfortunately... but will get back.
I will post some of my thoughts.

By the way, Abramovic, is one of the people I feel very close to in relation to their art work and similarities. Funnily someone else had to make me aware of it - the more I read about her the more I realise with a shock how close I come to her style... that worries me slightly - but too early for that, I guess.

... to be continued. xxxxx

14 June, 2007 17:10  
Blogger jon said...

hi biggi, it's good to see that you have been challenging your audience again. When we first met in december and you were describing your work, i thought how thought provoking. it is always interesting to take people outside their comfort zone.

14 June, 2007 19:32  

Post a Comment

<< Home