Tuesday, February 20, 2007

feeling flat...

Hello everyone

I hope you’re all well, not caught this cold bug thing that seems to be going around here. I have managed to avoid it so far, so fingers crossed I will survive catching the lurgy until next winter now.

Have been giving some more thought to Birmingham on Sunday. I do really want to see everyone, but the train taking five hours to get me home is such a pain.
My parents are away this weekend too, which means I have the perfect opportunity to get on with some work without being interrupted….I know, I know, I haven’t seen anyone since December, but nor have I put much time aside to get on with my work.

More and more I realise how little time and space I give my work, and it’s crazy. It’s what makes me feel most alive, yet I am working full time and trying to fit it into my evenings alongside all those domestic bores. Jon, is it the Wysing Studios you were writing an application for? When I saw the advert in artists newsletter, at first I kind of brushed it aside – for a long time I have told myself I don’t need or want a studio. When I was at college I came to the conclusion that I ended up decorating the space rather than getting on with work in it, so I have never given that mush thought to having a studio since. But now I am thinking about it as a possibility, the more I think it would be a good idea to apply. And it isn’t just about having a space in which to work. I can work here, but it is where I live…so all those domestic things seem to invade it, and the bloody TV pulls me in far too often, far more than I want it to. So, I think I might apply for a studio….

On another note, I want to get on with some work at the weekend…or at least just play. Making work, and the possibilities for making work always feel so much more exciting and real when I’m thinking whilst doing. I want to do some stuff in my room here. The blinds in my room cover the windows, but the light seeps in around them, so there’s three panels illuminated from a faint light….it sounds dull, but there’s something really beautiful about it…the fact that the window is at the foot of my bed too, so I fall asleep looking at it and wake up to see it…..it’s probably best if I just post some images of it when and if I have some….
I wanted to ask actually about how I might go about taking photos or filming in poor light, ie quite dark…will they not just come out underexposed? I’ve taken photos in the dark before, and some of them have come out ok, but others look appalling. And whenever I have filmed in semi darkness the quality for the images is terrible too….maybe because my camera isn’t great. I know medium format cameras give a much better quality, (it’s on my wish list!), but is it the same with video? Does high definition make a big difference? If anyone can offer any expert technical advice I would be most grateful! I will work with what I have got at the weekend though and see what it throws up.

I have been feeling a bit flat, and I am sure this is in part because I feel so distanced from my work…the only way to get back into it though is to give myself some time and space to do so…..this seems to be my daily recurring reminder- you need time and space to nurture your artistic practice…yet I still cling onto the comfortable life as I currently know it…not making that leap of faith.

Shabz, have you cancelled your thin on 9 March at Toynbee Studios? I emailed Nikki Tominson about it yesterday, but have just read Franko’s reply to Madeleine…will you do it at a later date? I would love to know, as I would be interested in being there.

Madeleine…I keep forgetting to ask, how is the marathon training going? I have been running only a few times this year, but think of you each time I do. I hope it’s going well, and you’re enjoying it!

I won’t go on….will catch up with the other posts though..

With love, Kat.

5 Comments:

Blogger tom said...

try using a slower shutter speed, if your camera allows it. don't use auotmatic mode.

20 February, 2007 23:15  
Blogger Girldrag said...

Hi Katherine,

Good luck with work at the weekend. I know what you mean about putting time aside for it. But you know, I am not working in paid employ, and it is tough to create space to make work amongst being strategic about how I fill my days. Folks sometimes envy my time, but I would love to have some paid work/ be able to rely on my health in this way. Not giving you a hard time, but an approach I have been considering is that rather than being in a psychic space where I berate myself for lack of productivity re ideas, to take the pressure off. Because I find this is when I make the work I am most excited about. It occurred to me last week when I was mulling things over, probably doing something completely unrelated, as this is when I tend to have my revelations at such moments. The thought descended on me that I could decide to aim for two small bodies of work a year, and that would be an achievement I would be happy with. Any more than that would be above and beyond, and I would remain open to that, but two pieces/small bodies a year, yeah, that would be ok. I found this so liberating! Two pieces. Not so overwhelming. Not so likely to place me in a place that I often drift into of never doing enough. Never producing enough. Never achieving enough.

So, well, I just thought I'd share what felt like a revelation to me.

So now I'm thinking, well, I am working on this piece using magic. And due to perform different versions at atleast 2 or 3 different events. So that is one small body, or theme of work. So that leaves one more to do... It is Feb. So... well, I have two or three other ideas that I want to develop, pref one site-specific... Well, just really makes me feel more chilled about my goal. Make any sense?

On a more technical note (don't laugh please! I am literally the least tech person I know!) I would say that vital piece of equipment is a tripod. And if stills, use manual settings and make sure you get a light reading/check w camera that it seems ok. And a long exposure.

Now, when it comes to video, the better the camera, the more chance that you'll get more choice re controlling settings. Having said that, I have a good camera, but tend to keep it simple, although part of reason I chose to get it was that it is good in low light. Sooo, if you can borrow a better camera, do so. Or work with what you have, and see what you come up with. It might be worth seeing this weekend as time to do research. So, if you decided that you wanted to go for higher tec so that you get more beautiful and defined images, you could source them and then do it again next time you have a weekend.

Good to read your post. Good luck and have fun!

And hope to see you soonish; I think both Rachel and I are showing work at an event called 'Losing It' in London on Thurs 8 March; I know it's a week night, but I'm going to let everyone know anyhow.

21 February, 2007 01:22  
Blogger jon said...

Hi Katherine,

yes I am in the process of applying to Wysing although it will mean a longer journey to get to the studio; my current studio space is 10 mins from home but I spend most of my time there sorting out various maintenace problems (electrics ect) as it's an old victorian farm house owned by the council but without the love which has been devoted to the farmhouse at Wysing.

Not sure how I'll get on applying and can only afford the smaller spaces at present.

You metion the camera work, do you have an slr (single lens reflex)camera. these are best for photographing at night. As Tom has already mentioned you can adjust the shutter speed (requiring a longer exposure in the dark). A digital SLR can still be fairly pricy. you can pick up a film version for a reasonable price these days.

If you have a local camera shop/ photo developers (non mega store) they are only happy to help with info. You could google search your question some interesting info on the web.

I have another question for you. How far away from stevenage are you. Is it easier to get here? I ask because if as a group we have these little jollies out, I drive and I believe you're based somewhere in the eastern region.

have fun with being creative this weekend. andd get those legs working again :)

21 February, 2007 20:58  
Blogger jon said...

Hello again, I have just reread your post, APPLY to Wysing. There is nothing more valuable as having your own creative space and the benefits that come from being around other creative folk even if it's just an hour a day over lunch or a tea break.

21 February, 2007 23:34  
Blogger Steven said...

Hi All

Katherine, I have made the decision after 17 years to have a studio outside my domestic space! Do it! The TV, toaster and phone are all too distracting. Remember our debate about habits? Well this is one I wanted, geting in the car and driving to the studio is so empowering. Also, the stuido complex is come out of the Build residency you told me about in Wysing last year that I am now on. So to complete the circle, apply for a studio at wysing to get your studio. You won' t regret it. I think some people don't need a studio, and that changes year by year, but for me, and I think you, the rigour would get you (me) working.

All the stuff about the cameras a right, tripod, manual, SLR. It will all work.

Talk soon.

22 February, 2007 14:06  

Post a Comment

<< Home