Tuesday, October 09, 2007

It seems like Friday's meeting threw up stuff that seemed to stem from differing expectations of different people on the blog, regarding how the year is working, and how it should be working.

I was looking forward to the exhibition very much, because I thought it might offer the opportunity for us to work together leading up to it, and therefore might give us the opportunity to get to know one another as artists.

I do agree that there is a disparity of approaches to the group, and this is a problem, and, I agree, might prove too big to overcome regarding creating a show.

I suppose that one of the primary reasons I was attracted to taking part in Franko's mentoring scheme, apart from the fact that Franko had mentored me when I did EEC, was that, having been through college, and finding that it wasn't so great for me, I wanted something that didn't involve the person with the biggest ego, or most ability to impress tutors gaining star status.

I guess there are different reasons why we each wanted to do this scheme. For me, it is crucial that this is an environment that isn't about ego, but more about each of our practices, and how to develop further. And may be particularly pertinent for those of us not enamoured of the whole system of unhealthy competition.

I agree with Nina about the bullshit, and not feeling she fits in with that. I joked to someone recently in a meeting that having a bigger ego would serve me well, because it seems like sometimes, people respond well to the 'you must see my work, it is so important!'. Whereas I think it is utter bullshit.

I am disappointed that a show may not be possible at this point. Perhaps selfishly, although I don't really show work in galleries, I had a couple of inprogress works, and I would have been interested to see how I might develop one of them specific to that context and the Whitecross street area. But I do think that we need to have more committment to building a show as a group, rather than just exhibiting works together, if that makes any sense.

I am wondering if, given the situation, we meet in November, but prior to that, we discuss what we want to achieve during that meeting.

Do we meet in November to discuss all this further? Do we bring work, and begin to discuss this further? I wonder what everyone would like to do?

I am committed, despite my lack of visibility on the blog over the summer, to continuing with the group. But maybe we all need to reflect upon this.

Gosh, that's my two-pennerth thus far.

xxL

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home