Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Hi

I don't think I am wrong when saying I think it was me and my apparently negative attitude towards the group show that seemed to start the problems on Friday. My comments when Franko asked me "What do you think Harminder?" were "I'm not sure, I think I’d need to see the space and the work. I'm a bit worried that it will be a really disparate group show" (as Rachel rightly put it, Group shows are very difficult) and I guess I didn't just want it to be lots of completely unrelated work lumped together simply because Franko got us a space and he's our mentor. Franko, you have always said to me to only do a show if you’re sure about it, if you feel it is right for you, don't just go about showing work for the sake of it, because someone says here’s a space and a bit of money or whatever. I'd just like to add that I didn't once say 'I don't want to be part of this group, I don't want to be part of this show' what I did was offer up a bit of criticism and it all seems to have gone shit shaped.

I know that Jon's words:
"Some I felt showed a huge disinterest and were only there for themselves; that somehow their work was to important to be mixed in with the rabble of Franko's mentees. That this opportunity was not worthy of their space, time or energy."
If this is directed at me then its balls (if it's not then my apologies Jon) If I thought my work was too important to mix in with the 'rabble' I would have told Franko I didn't want to be part of the show before the meeting (or after it). Yes I have confidence in my work, and yes I love my art practice, but I can also find love and interest in others work. This was NOT the criticism I leveled at the show.

What happened at Franko's that evening was a heated debate which escalated, it again had nothing to do with the group show (it was actually a debate on racism). Kathrine tried to call me on Sat to clear the air, (I unfortunately didn’t realize and picked up her voicemail today) whereby I immediately called her to also apologise, to ask if she is ok, and to clear the air (I’ve also left you a voicemail and will try you again later). My god I wrote her about 4 messages on the train home saying ‘I’m sorry for how heated the debate got and I hope you’re ok’ but bottled out of sending any of them. She did tear, but she said it was due to being over-tired (and probably over-frustrated with me!) and Jesus I was shaking like mad after it. But I’m sorry, Franko you said you saw this as a family, well how many times do we see siblings argue to the point of frustration, and you’re all hypocrites if you say to me this hasn’t happened to you ever…balls it hasn’t.

The reason why we are a group, and the proof that Kathrine and myself feel the importance of this group, is that we called each other after, that’s what sometimes happens, you piss someone off, if you don’t give a shit about them you tell them to fuck off if they call you, or you just don’t bother calling them back, if they mean something to you, you try and make it better.

Minda x

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home